Sunday, August 29, 2010

My friend Matt

Ever know someone whom you'd normally just loathe due to their being so great at what they do,
but who are just too fun to dislike?


I've worked with a number of outstanding and talented folks, and I'm sure they'd all agree with me
that Matt would be at the top of the list for the best of blends between talent and integrity. He's also screamingly funny with a tasty side-order of dry. Check out the work on his newly minted site mattlehmanstudio.com and watch an interview done a few months back by Art vs. Inspiration ,
found here.












































Above, some Nordstrom loveliness, and sweet stuff that he did while at CMT.
Below, his grand illo style and line quality do their mojo depicting a few bearded fellows,
chosen just because they are, like Matt, bearded fellows.





















































Above, an illustration I remember him working on back in the day. Still think the client should've gone with his take on the beautiful songstress. I'm glad it's still featured there on his site. I can recall a number of hellacious projects (not the one above) that, because of the team involved, either turned out really great or at least provided some interesting/entertaining/incriminating stories. Matt usually provided a lot of the laughs!






















Above, various killer logo samples.


We have different illustration styles (read: I suuccckkk), and rarely do I find the kind of jobs on my desk that he has on his, but I do find myself wondering at times just what would Matt do here, or imagining what his sketchbook might look like if he were noodling on the same project. Back when we were just a few cubbies apart, I could go ask him myself and be inspired by his warp-speed brain's never-ending flow of goodness.

He'll be famous one day — I have an uncanny intuition. I'm so thankful to have gotten to work with him for a few years and to see that any possible success and accolades, fame and notoriety won't change the guy; he'll always be mellow, gracious and congenial.

Party on, Matt! You're fantastic!

All images from his site. Except the one below, which is from the far past.


4 comments:

brezinka said...

Incredibly beautiful stuff! Much success to you Matt! Thanks for posting Kristi.

Kristi said...

watch out, Brezinka, you're next. ;)

mick statham said...

really like Matts work. I'm a big logo nut too.

Kc said...

I remember meeting Matt! Stylish & charming & smile-inducing does not only apply to his artwork. I didn't use to like beards! ATD had a slew of wonderful folks that were a joy to visit!