Thursday, May 29, 2008

This Is the Day

A few weekends ago I was lucky enough to hear a friend of mine give a little talk on "Living in the present moment," I think is how she phrased it. I normally don't flock to women's gatherings at church (or anywhere for that matter, mostly) but I was quite blessed by her words. I admire her creativity, honesty, and great taste in shoes, but she's a lot deeper than that [though possibly I'm not]. Anyhow, here's a brief recap of the morning's talk.
With apologies to Barbara.

1. Consider the Creator: Ps 121:1-2
Start the day looking up; Creation is meant to wow us, to awe us, and remind us of our sin and need for God.
2. Receive the Day: It's a new day, with new mercies! Leave the old information, old failures and disappointments, bad feelings, and focus on His mercies.
And she quoted D. Lloyd Jones (I paraphrase): What You Feel vs What Is Real, "Our emotions relate directly to our circumstances and we tend to invest our feelings with final authority..." when we need to avoid concentrating on our feelings, making them central, therefore making us doomed to unhappiness. Truth is not an emotional stimulus. [I can't pretend to understand that last statement.]
3.Enter the Day: Ps 130:5-6
Enter with dependency and a humble heart, expecting God to work in me. When I'm loaded with feeling and introspecting, I stop expecting God and stop looking for Him. This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it. God promises to finish the work He has begun in us... and satisfaction is about God's glory, not about our accomplishments. Christ is sufficient!

O to learn that Christ is sufficient. And to remember it, once learned.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for the notes! I didn't go to the women's gathering (probably for the same reason that you don't normally go), but wanted to hear Barbara speak.