Thursday, December 16, 2010

Glorious Impossible, or, my post on Wendy Wills.

Happy third week of Advent. As I learn a little more about it, I find that Sunday was the day to celebrate joy... a personal goal I'll have for the rest of my life!

One of the interesting things about living in Nashville is that everyone is a musician, aspiring musician, or (like me) horribly untalented but loves music. I have a songwriter friend who wrote, a few years ago, a beautiful song that I always love singing this time of year. Unfortunately I don't have a link to her recording it, but it's on the internets by other artists out there. The lyrics are incredible.

See the Virgin is delivered
In a cold and crowded stall;
Mirror of the Father's glory
Lies beside her in the straw.

He is Mercy's incarnation
Marvel at this miracle!
For the Virgin gently holds the
Glorious Impossible.

Love has come to walk on water,
Turn the water into wine,
Touch the leper, bless the children
Love both human and divine.

Praise the wisdom of the Father
Who has spoken through His Son.
Speaking still He calls us to the
Glorious Impossible.

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Glorious Impossible

He was bruised for our transgressions
And He bears eternal scars.
He was raised for our salvation
And his righteousness is ours.

Praise, oh, praise Him, praise the glory
Of this lavish grace so full.
Lift your souls now and receive the
Glorious Impossible!


























I also love that this is the title of a beautiful Christmas book by Madeleine L'Engle, illustrated by Giotto. Yes, the one from Art History, who could draw a perfect circle. (Not an easy feat, just try doing it. Without a compass. Or Illustrator.)


Last week I enjoyed a good Jewish breakfast at a local deli with Wendy, while the snow poured out of the sky. We also were able to do a bit of illustration/design work for her and give her a new identity (the graphic design kind, not the witness protection kind). I've always been amazed by musicians and writers, but songwriters are especially in the "I don't even begin to understand how they do that" category. But what I especially love about Wendy is her kind heart and infectious laugh, which is surprisingly easy to get going. So, thank you, Wendy, for the opportunity to do work for you, for a chilly breakfast date, and for one of the most lovely songs I've ever heard. And, happy birthday tomorrow.

Her site is in progress, and if you google her you'll find a realtor and a country music artist. When it's up I will post links and a sample of the graphic identity we worked on with her. Fun working with a friend.

2 comments:

Nanette R. said...

An awesome tribute to a wonderful friend! I love how you each have different talents that bless each other (and the rest of us)!

Unknown said...

I didnt know Wendy wrote that song. I love it!